When: Class meets weekly on Tuesdays from 12:00 am. -1:00 pm. This Fall class will begin on 9/17 and the last class will be on 12/17. (no class on Thanksgiving week)
Where: St. Peter’s Church Social Hall, 6013 Lawton, Oakland CA, 94618. Entrance is usually down the stairs to the right of the courtyard. The roof is being replaced in September, so the entrance during that construction will be through the Sanctuary doors, then to the right to the staircase all the way downstairs.
- Ages: 55 and above
- Tuition = $318.50
- Registration = $15.00
CLASSIC SONGS ROCK BAND CLASS
This combo will play popular songs with more extended forms and will be more open to varied instrumentation. The musicians will use charts and more developed sight reading skills are recommended. In addition to simpler songs this combo will utilize songs with more advanced harmonies in different keys and the music making will develop balanced ensemble play. Sample songs could include “Hey Jude” (The Beatles), “Hotel California” (The Eagles), “Layla” (Eric Clapton), “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” (Marvin Gaye). This band will perform at Academy student Events and in public venues such as street fairs and other outdoor events. This group enrolls a semester at a time, yet will continue every semester to be an ongoing group.
OVERVIEW & PURPOSE
This instrumental group devotes itself to the performance of classic Rock and R&B songs. There will be public concerts each semester as well as opportunities for other gigs in local community events.
This course in ongoing and offered continuously in consecutive sessions, semester after semester. In this combo group students will focus on building a repertoire of pieces and improve on this skill list:
1. Play and understand Rock and R&B songs from different eras
2. Sight read music charts at a proficient level
3. Learn how to interpret and personalize playing from existing song books
4. Understand the roles of different instruments in Rock and R&B music
5. Understand chord symbols from basic power chords to extended harmonies
6. Understand basic blues progressions and use the “Blues scale”
7. Learn to play by ear and develop listening skills
8. Understand how to improvise
The songs for this combo will be selected based on student input in cooperation with the teacher. The artists could include (but not limited to): The Beatles, Bob Marley, Santana, Ray Charles, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, Eric Clapton, Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Temptations, David Bowie, Green Day, Van Morrison, The Eagles, B.B. King, AC/DC, The Byrds, etc. Both ensembles will focus on instrumental music, with possible singers. If needed, there will be auditions for the drum set, bass, keys and guitars because of the limited number of spots in the rhythm section.
- Students are expected to be punctual in/and attending all classes and performances.
- Each musician is expected to learn all parts for the pieces being rehearsed during the semester outside of class. The class time is devoted to ensemble play.
- Reading music is not an absolute requirement, but musicians should be able to play basic functions on their instruments. These include common chords on guitar, playing with two hands on keyboards, keeping the beat on drums, and producing a tone playing melodic instruments.
- Students looking to move into higher levels on their specific instrument should also seek instrumental lessons outside of this class.
- MATERIALS NEEDED
- Binder or folder to hold and organize music handouts
- Instruments: Musically Minded will provide keyboards, pianos, a drum kit, chairs and music stands / You can bring your own pitched instruments (any with standard tuning), including strings, brass, and woodwinds / Hand drums and percussion are also welcome
- Pencil to take notes on music