Group Piano Levels for Ages 6-8
Piano Teachers at Musically Minded Academy use the Faber and Faber “My First Piano Adventures” books and CD’s to supplement learning in group classes. Here is a note from the authors of these books:
“With students at age six or less, piano teaching becomes an adventure for both the child and the teacher. We’ve set aside our seriousness and inhibitions to join the child’s world in a playful exploration of music and the keyboard. Through imagery, metaphor, and a diverse world of sound, we seek to develop a foundation of aural perception, eye tracking, and physical coordination. There is special opportunity to develop perceptual ability at a young age. Skills unfold while we engage the child’s inherent love of music.”
Fun and Imagination for a Spirit of Play – We take students into a musical “playground” where we explore, hear, look, and learn, fully engaging the children with visual, auditory, and kin esthetic (feel/touch) activities.
Activity Based Learning for Focused Attention – Activity based learning correlates to the child’s age (5 minutes for a 5-year-old). Students move from table, to piano, to white board, and back engaging the child in the rhythm of each lesson.
Creative Metaphors for First Technique– Essential aspects of piano technique are introduced using child centered technique activities to teach rounded hand shape, arm weight, and rising wrist motion.
Movement and Singing for Rhythm and Pitch – Students are encouraged to use their bodies and voices in various speeds, moods, and keys finding their own steady beat to play in time with their fellow students.
Classes names are based on the names of the books used in this series. There are three levels of books: A, B, C.
LEVEL A: A1 is a preparatory class that takes students through the first 3rd of this level. A2-A3 continue through the end of the Yellow books.
Young students in this class will learn about the basics of piano introductory level course. They will explore the following concepts:
- up versus down
- loud versus soft
- high versus low
- finger numbers
- basic keyboard geography
- basic rhythmic note values
- beginning piano technique
- Students will learn pieces on the piano and use workbooks and games to explore ear training, sight-reading, music symbol writing and more.
Students in this class will need to purchase Piano Adventures Primer level books by Nancy and Randall Faber: Lesson, Technique and Theory. We will add the sight reading book when we get to unit four, which may not be in the first 10 weeks. It depends on our group of enrollees.
Need another day or time? Please fill in our Group Class Waiting Form by scrolling down. We open new classes based on student interest and teach availability.
Course Instructor: Anna Orias For more on Anna go here
Classes will meet ONLINE via Zoom.
New class starting October 1 on Thursdays 4:30-5 pm for 10 sessions, excluding all holidays.
Ages: 6 to 8
Tuition: $195 tuition.
CURRENT SESSION: Thursdays 4:30-5 pm starting October 1 and going for ten sessions, skipping all holidays.
Instructor: Anna Orias
- Piano or keyboard and a piano bench. Keyboards need to be 88 weighted keys and be held on a keyboard stand with a sturdy music stand and a sustain.
- Internet access (connecting your device directly to your ethernet will provide the most reliable connection for online study)
- Metronome or metronome app. Tuner or tuner app.
- A device with a stand to hold it up on the left side of the piano, high enough to tilt down toward the keys so that the teach can see the student, the keyboard and distinguish the right hand from the left hand.
- Piano Adventures Primer Level Lesson, Technique and Theory books and the accompanying app on the app store.
- Students are expected to be punctual in/and attending all classes and performances.
- There is a minimum practice requirement of 20 mins a day, 5 days a week.
- Students need to adopt a growth mindset and follow the respectful online conduct.
Fill out this form if there is no current Group Piano Class available for enrollment.