OVERVIEW & PURPOSE
This class is for students that have never played before. It will overview the instrument and give students an opportunity to learn the basics. From here, they can progress to higher levels of study.
This course is part of a series of ongoing classes offered continuously in consecutive sessions, semester after semester. The idea is to start in an introductory group and then proceed to ongoing group lessons. In this into level, group students will these skills:
- Instrument care and maintenance
- Proper Instrument Hold and Positioning
- Producing the first tone
- Practice guidance
- Learning basic pieces
Get your start on violin or viola! Learn to play basic pieces and have fun with a group of peers.
Level 2 and 3 – for second and third year students
OVERVIEW & PURPOSE
These class are for students that already know how to play the instrument. These student have had prior music instruction on their instrument and can play some pieces. In order to be accepted into level two or three, please contact us and send in these three items:
- one page picture of current sheet music level
- video of student playing a scale
- video of student playing a piece at their current level
Don’t stress, this is not an audition! We just want to ensure that we are paring students together who are at similar levels.
These courses are part of a series of ongoing classes offered continuously in consecutive sessions, semester after semester. The idea is to start in an introductory group and then proceed to ongoing group lessons. In this into level, group students will these skills:
- Continuing skill building on the instrument for players with some experience
- Learning repertoire appropriate for a second year of study
Continue your string studies online with this small group! This format will allow you to continue to grow your skills even while school is all online. The small group size of 4-6 students will allow you to get individualized help and grow friendships with other string players.
That this is the price for a small group of 4-6 students for 10 weeks of 30 minute lessons.
Tuition does not include required materials, which need to be purchased separately by each student. See “Required Materials” section in the right hand column.
After the initial 10 weeks:
- The class will have the option to continue with a new and longer enrollment period
- For the continuation, if the class size changes, or the duration of the class increases, the rates will change accordingly.
- We are a music school and after the 10 week initial period is completed, we move students over to longer term enrollments that include annual performance events.
- Longer courses move to a monthly payment plan where the total tuition for the term is divided into equal monthly payments. Since there are different numbers of Mondays, Tuesdays, etc. in each term, we will wait to quote this total tuition until we know the start and end dates of the enrollment period. Our per class rates can be found here. More details on terms and Events can be found here.
Ages: 9 to 18
Tuition: $270 tuition (See “Tuition Details below”). This is per child for a maximum size of three students per class.
Group Violin 10 weeks starting from 10/21/2020 to 01/20/2021
Intro/Level 1: Wednesdays, 4:00-4:30 pm
Level 2: Wednesdays, 4:30-5:00 pm
Level 3: Wednesdays, 5:00-5:30 pm
Group Viola 10 weeks starting from 10/22/2020 to 01/14/2021
Intro/Level 1: Thursdays, 4:00-4:30 pm
Level 2: Thursdays, 4:30-5:00 pm
Instructor: Adam Green
Where do I get an instrument?
BUY: Southwest Strings
BUY OR RENT LOCAL: Ifshin Violins
BORROW: Some public schools will allow you to check one out while you are enrolled. Ask us for a direct contact if you attend an Oakland Public School.
Students are expected to be punctual in/and attending all classes and performances.
There is a minimum practice requirement of 20 mins a day, 5 days a week.
Students need to adopt a growth mindset and follow the respectful online conduct.
- Instrument and bow
- Shoulder Rest
- Internet access (connecting your device directly to your ethernet will provide the most reliable connection for online study)
- 2 devices for each class: one to use as a camera for zoom, another to play backing tracks mid lesson.
- Music Stand to hold printed copies of music.
- Strictly Strings Book 1 for your specific instrument. We suggest buying a paper and a digital copy of the book as the digital copies have the audio tracks that accompany each piece.
Instructor, Adam Green
Adam Green is a beloved energetic artistic local music teacher who is passionate about teaching.