Our popular musical theater camps are now being offered as a weekly class!
In this weekly class, students work together to develop their own original musical theater show, from props to costumes. Students are encouraged to be creative, work as a team and take responsibility for the outcome of their efforts. Students will learn theater skills through games, improvisation, and play. The staff will guide the students through phases from Brainstorming, to Dress and Tech Rehearsals, to the final production.
When: Class meets weekly on Wednesdays from 5:30-7:00 pm. The final class will be a post production party where we will watch a video of the performance and play some fun games to end the session. Spring Class will begin on January 15, 2020 and the last session will be on May 27, 2020.
Where: St. Peter’s Church Social Hall, 6013 Lawton, Oakland CA, 94618. Entrance is down the stairs to the right of the courtyard.
- Actors will be on stage in the performances and have a role in the production.
- Ages: 4th-8th grade, (younger children must be pre-approved by staff)
- Tuition = $300
- Tech crew will be assigned specific roles in areas such as costuming, sound, lighting, sets, props, hair and makeup, google docs administration.
- Tech will participate in all cast meetings, theater games and team building exercises.
- Ages: 6th-8th grade
- Tuition = $200
High School/Adult Volunteers
- Experienced Adults and enthusiastic teens may volunteer to help with the production and will be placed in positions in accordance with their experience.
- Tuition = FREE
- Volunteers need not work every hour of the class and must be approved by the administrative staff
STAFF that is artistic, dynamic, and energetic
CURRICULUM that inspires creativity and collaboration.
METHOD that captures childhood creativity and imagination.
Watch your kids blossom as they immerse themselves in music, make friends, grow their confidence, and express their creativity. Teamed by age and led by our dynamic staff, students dive into music, art, and on stage play. Each session, students collaborate, leveraging their individual strengths to develop a final performance. Through this work, they convey ideas and emotions and build awareness of nuance, complexity, structure, emphasis and theme in musical expression.
The Creative Process
Students work together to develop their own skit and then create everything needed for an original musical theater show, from props to costumes. Students are encouraged to be creative, work as a team and take responsibility for the outcome of their efforts.
This format allows for kids to set their own pace and work in both small and large teams. It is amazing to see how kids group together in different ways to produce the final show–little kids work with big kids, all supporting each other! New friendships form and kids learn how to troubleshoot and grow their artistry. Kids, counselors and teachers go through the creative process together, which is simultaneously challenging and exciting, to come up with the exhilarating final show.