Creative Aging Teacher Training
Sunday, Jan 27, 2019, 10 am – 4 pm, 1 hour lunch break
Sliding Scale: $0-$100 (Free for Destiny Arts and MMA Teachers)
Registration is required
Destiny Arts Center, 970 Grace Ave., Oakland, CA 94608
What is Creative Aging?
What resources are available for this field?
Teachers, join us to:
- Learn to teach group classes to ages 55+
- Learn and practice “best practices” as identified research results in this field
Not just your basic lecture!
- Experiential class with participatory learning
- Multiple techniques that can be used in a variety of art disciplines
- Deconstruct your own agisim to learn new perspectives and methods to reach olders.
This workshop will be led by Musically Minded Academy’s (MMA) Executive Director and teaching artist, Anna Orias, who has over 25 years experience as a teaching artist. MMA has received a grant from the National Guild for Community Arts Education. Anna attended the training LifeTime Arts training in Baltimore where she learned how to:
- Increase capacity to serve older adults through skill-based, participatory programs
- Provide models of high quality creative aging programs to the field
- Raise public awareness about the benefits of creative aging programs
Musically Minded Academy is developing new Creative Aging Programs now for the 2019-2020 season. This workshop will help MMA to train creative aging teachers for new programs and will also provide training for people in multiple disciplines to create and develop programing in their own organizations. Musically Minded is welcoming all teachers as we feel strongly that this information should be shared in the Bay Area and beyond. Destiny Arts and Musically Minded Academy are exploring options for cross discipline partnership programs from this training and MMA is open to ideas for partnerships with other organizations as well. When we all work together, there are so many possibilities! Right now, we am eager to get this information into the hearts and minds of some local teachers so that all of us can better serve our aging population. Please invite fellow teachers to attend. Space permitting, nobody will be turned away due to lack of funds.